Explore the ATL District During Your Meeting Downtime
Attending an event at the Georgia International Convention Center is the perfect opportunity to experience the charming urban life of the Atlanta Airport District. Rich with history and full of attractions, College Park, Union City, East Point and Hapeville, it can be hard to choose where to go when your meeting breaks! Here are seven ways to spend downtime in the district:
- Challenge your colleagues' to 9 holes at the Historic College Park Golf Course. Built in 1929, this course is just minutes from the GICC. The close proximity and no tee time requirement make it perfect for a last-minute breakout.
- Shop local while exploring historic downtown College Park. Take in the beauty of Main Street while you find the perfect souvenir from one of the many independent boutiques. Finally, replenish with a fresh juice or smoothie from an Atlanta local, Arden's Garden.
- Spin on over to East Point's Dick Lane Velodrome to see how elite cyclists train and compete. The only velodrome in the world with a green space, the 36° banked concrete track draws elite cyclists from all over. The weekly races are free for spectators, and offer an array of types of events as competitors face off "Omnium" style. This type of race requires competitors to do every event, winning by accumulating the most points across events.
- Take advantage of an average of 217 days of sunshine each year with a stroll through Connally Nature Park in East Point, GA.
- Savor the taste of the south and dine at a locally-owned restaurant. Try Union City's Green Manor Restaurant for mouth-watering fried chicken in a jaw-droppingly beautiful historic manor. If you are looking for a less traditional take on southern fare, try Chairs Upstairs. The brisket queso pairs well with a craft beer, and fortunately, they have many to choose from.
- Take off to the Delta Flight Museum to learn about the history and future of flight. Astonishing interactive exhibits will have your imagination soaring, while the flight simulator will get your adrenaline fix.
- Admire the historic homes of the ATL District. Take a walk or drive around town and witness incredible centuries-old architecture. You might just find yourself ready to move here!
Looking for more suggestions? We can help you choose an activity specific to your group! Tweet us at @TheGICC.